My dad was a soldier. I remembered that we always seemed to be moving around a lot. That was both good and bad for a kid because it seemed I was frequently saying goodbye to someone. I don’t actually remember how of if we were ever officially told that we were moving again. It all just seemed to happen so fast. The packers would come in, box everything up, load up the moving truck and away we would go. I really did get tired of saying goodbye. The good thing was there were always a lot of kids with dads in the Army at our new homes so we really didn’t have too much trouble making new friends. It was just that they never seemed to last. I was a loner. I gravitated to kids in my neighborhoods but not by choice. Mostly they just seemed to find me and they were in the same boat so it all worked out. I remember how hard my mom always tried to make and keep things normal as possible. I knew that my dad got up in the morning, went to where soldiers go to work, came home, ate dinner and then bed. Every now and then we did some fun stuff like go on vacation or go see grandparents. My mom would take me and my brother to church and insisted on vacation bible school every summer no matter where we were living. Vacation bible school was great. I learned how to make lots of things out of popsicle sticks. I learned about Jesus and His dad, God. I remember He didn’t seem to be much like my dad.
No comments:
Post a Comment