Sometimes it is a good idea to let things rest…sometimes it is good to stop the thing that you are doing and stand back and breathe and reevaluate your purposes and goals in that thing you are doing. It is good to let your fields go fallow. I love these lines from a poem, The Fallow Season, by Keith Harrison,
And while the white rain beats across the hills
It’s desolate enough. But you, who by
Some shrewd perversity or courage, toughen
On disappointment, will come through this
To make again. This is the quiet time.
Put down your brushes and your words,
Breathe with the earth, draw strength from solitude.
It’s desolate enough. But you, who by
Some shrewd perversity or courage, toughen
On disappointment, will come through this
To make again. This is the quiet time.
Put down your brushes and your words,
Breathe with the earth, draw strength from solitude.
I have been in a prolonged fallow season and despite my discomfort with not doing something and filling my days with meaningless activity, I know that these times are necessary and good. It is easy to get caught up in the endless pursuit of meaning and purpose for our lives and simply doing nothing or even not much that is laudable is counter intuitive to what we have been led to believe. With all that being said, I am, in effect, going to reenter and reconnect what I am thinking and feeling and write these things down instead of allowing them to float through my head like wispy clouds on a summer day. I recently realized that I was writing a lot on my blog, So I’m Color Blind, during this time last year and it was “therapeutic” for me, if nothing else. So, I am resurrecting the blog and I will hope to be a little more diligent and regular in sharing my thoughts and observations. Additionally, this serves another purpose as I will soon be leaving for Haiti on a 10 day mission trip to help install two water purification systems. I hope to provide a comprehensive picture of this trip in both pictures and words. I will have much more to say about this trip and how this opportunity presented itself which is an amazing story all by itself. I am very much looking forward to being stretched, challenged, moved and used by God to continue to tell His amazing story of redemption, restoration and making His name famous wherever I go. I think I know why my fields have been laying fallow…it’s planting time.


No comments:
Post a Comment