“There are persons who, when they cease to shock us, cease to interest us.”-F.H. Bradley
Things that polarize...sports...politics...and Rob Bell. No...I'm just kidding, Rob...it's really not your fault...it's just that crazy business you're in. What business is that... you might be asking about now, right? The business of polarizing people who look to others not only for leadership but for wholly unoriginal thoughts they then adopt as their own personal theology. It's called religion. Sadly, this business of polarization has become the new normal within Evangelical Christian circles with numerous rock star style pastors espousing positions and posing questions that are basically unanswerable but provoke lots of talk. This talk does little to push forward agenda of Jesus and to rescue the lost and oppressed throughout the entirety of the world. We are far more concerned with defending positions and debating irrelevant fine points of theology. Polarization draws lines...you on your side...me on mine. This isolates us and we seek out others who are not only like us but will support the way we think and believe. I think the term is we become...tribes. We then become black and white thinkers and zealously guard our positions and go on the defensive when questioned or attacked. If you are going to stand up...be the voice... and propose to speak the truth as if you are the sole holder of it you must be open to other possibilities and willing to entertain questions. Any refusal to do that becomes dangerous and toxic for those you assume to speak for. That is exactly how cults come into being. I think it's good and healthy to have open honest dialogue on controversial issues. However this huge dust up with those who want to weigh in on Rob Bells new book, Love Wins, leaves me both confused and sad at the same time. I have tried personally many times to understand why that I need a dense complicated theology in my day to day life of being a witness for the transforming power of redemption in my life. I think I can explain the gospel very clearly and concisely in a way that even those in another culture would understand. We have taken something so simple and easily presentable and hopelessly mired it in lots of theories and concepts that are totally unnecessary. It is like you are wanting to discuss the fine technical points of the breast stroke versus the back stroke to a man who is drowning. Seriously...the guy just wants to be saved...literally. This incessant wrangling and fighting over the most irrelevant minutia of theological and denominational differences does not necessarily drive the gospel forward. I feel like those not secure in their spiritual foundation and having some maturity in their relationship with Christ are the ones who suffer the most. Imagine their confusion and disappointment as their favorite pastor...falls out of favor based on some controversial comments...a book...or even worse. I have discovered this in my many interactions with so called Christians in a lot of different situations. I have come to the understanding that there are far too many of these people who are more concerned about a “chip-on-their-theological-shoulder”...or tooting loudly their doctrinal horn... than they are with broadening and welcoming in new members into the body of Christ. I am constantly encountering Southern Baptist Calvinists who attack non Calvinists. I find Methodists who attack Presbyterians, those who favor one pastor style over another and those who even are divided over worship music. As Christians we are always seeming to be on the attack and critical of anyone or anything outside the narrow confines of our own personal beliefs. If we are so critical of those who believe in God but have fine technical theological or denominational differences how could we possibly ever hope to reach the lost and disconnected? We can't...and we don't. We unfortunately turn many of our churches into a “members only” club and are not welcoming of diversity. Do you think...for a second...that people curious about your faith or church don't see this? We, as followers of Christ are always being watched by those outside of the church. Do I reflect a story of redemption and restoration to someone on the fringes or am I too busy talking and playing church...instead of doing what God desires of me? The whole thing is both ludicrous and disheartening . Sure, we can have civil discussions and there will be differences of opinion and disagreements but it's ok...we need to because we are thinkers and we have opinions. But...let us remember this one important thing... our differences need to be presented in a way that mirrors humility and love. When these differences of opinion and the personalities become more important than unity in the body of Christ, then idolatry has crept not only into the church, but also into our hearts. So, back to Rob Bell...Quite simple put...Rob has become a predictable product which many consume eagerly but actually he never seems to satisfy our hunger. He has discovered a formula that has been working very well for him since his early days at seminary. There is no doubt that he is a gifted communicator and is quite able to speak to the angst of the demographic he claims to represent. He has carefully and cleverly elevated himself to a position at the forefront of influential Christians who loudly proclaim a new paradigm for those who find no solace in the old traditions of Christianity. It only stands to reason when you intentionally elevate yourself to such a position of high visibility and claim to speak in absolute truths people are going to scrutinize your every word and action and have plenty of stinging criticism. I am sure it's really nothing personal...they just think you're wrong...and they are going to tell you and everyone else...

No comments:
Post a Comment